Thursday, October 18, 2007

And So It Begins


I'm happy to say I've completed the first draft of my new feature script "Ghoster". I've been working on the script since I arrived in Indianapolis, when I could grab a day or two. I guess it took about eight days to write, which I think is pretty good going! The thing is though I've been thinking about this story for years and I was working on the plot and characters for a couple of months before I arrived here.
It was just nice to have two week where I could find uninterupted time to work on it, so for that I have to thank my girlfriend, Maryann, who gave me the opportunity to do that.
So now the work begins. Like any first draft it's basically just the idea thrown down as quickly as possible in script form. So it's too long, too much is spelt out from the beginning, it's not the most subtle form of storytelling. But the idea is there, the characters are there and the story is there and that's the most important thing. Now I have to carve the statue from the block of marbel and hope for a 'David'! Or at least as close as I can get.
I'm happy with the first draft, the characters and the over all story work well. I can see the potential for more and for a really good script, that I hope will be my first feature film. I'm going to start preping it when I get back to Ireland. I need to find my Cast and Crew and of course... MONEY!!! The hardest part. So if anyone reading this wants to invest it what is going to be a hilarious, moving and fun picture, then don't hesitate for one more second to email me now (frank@palestoneproductions.com)

In other festival and movie related news, I've been having a great time. I had lunch with Angelo Pizzo a few days ago, the writer and producer of Hoosiers, Rudy and The Game of Their Lives. He's a friend of Maryann's and and all round nice guy. I enjoyed his company. He spoke about a pet project he's hoping to write, I wont tell you anything about it, that'd be spoiling it, I'll just say I really hope he gets to make it, it's a great story and will make a great film. It's like Stand By Me with balls!
All the filmmakers arrived for the festival last night. I met the makers of a Spainish film 'Mia Sara', great guys, really funny and good to hang out with. I took them to the Claddagh, which is the local Irish pub (Wasn't my idea by the way! It was just the closest) So it should be fun hanging out with them for the week. I think we're going to meet in LA next week while I'm there.
They were also talking about shooting their next project in Ireland or England, so I'll have to convince them to my own fair shores.

That's all for now. More news as it happens. I'm just really happy at the moment with Ghoster, I think it's going to make a good film. So I'm going to try and find investment while here. While in LA I'll be stopping by the American Film Market, so you never know who I'm going to meet. And even if Ghoster isn't for anyone there I have three more features in the bag!

More news soon.

No comments: