Friday, March 06, 2009

Fundraiser Night

Last night's Fundraiser was a success. A few last minute hic-cups and half the crowd I had hoped for, but I raised some money, which was the aim, so better then a kick in the teeth!

Kicked off an hour late. Place was empty till 10pm. Jason got lost because of my bad directions. I don't drive, so I'm the worst person in the world to give directions to someone in a car! Robbie Bonham took the place of Bernard O'Shea two hours before the gig, so thanks very much to him! 

The night kicked off with a screening of Emily's Song, seemed to go down well. Then Jason got up and warmed the crowd up, he did some new stuff, which was great. Got the crowd going and then brought on Robbie, who did a 40 minute set! Great! He went down well and had some great material and great lines, he's a kind of sarcy dry witted vagabond, looks like some brain cells may have been laid waist to over the years but his sharp observation and well structured material shows he's hung onto the important ones!

Little break, sold a bunch of raffle tickets and then back to have the funniest raffle I've ever been to with Jason drawing the number and me standing beside him like a pleb getting the piss ripped out of me for dodgy prizes! Jason is a genius though, only he could make €10 kodak print vouchers funny! He also seemed to display a remarkable psychic ability at predicting who was going to win what! The funniest moment came when one of the sponsors won his donated prize back! But he put it up again!

Everyone really seemed to enjoy that part of the proceedings. Then Paddy McArdle came on to play the night out, good as always. 

So all in all it was a fun night, I enjoyed myself immensely, which, after the stress leading up to it, I thought I might not! But it was fun. Good to see Jason again, good to meet Robbie, good to get a group of people together for a good night of entertainment in these dark days when media buzz words like recession and credit crunch are stalking our every thought. And I raised some cash, which was a plus.

Thanks to all the sponsors for their support:

That was the fundraiser. I still have a ways to go to get what I need, So I have no idea how that's going to happen. I'll figure something. In the meantime I still have lots of work to do.

A special thanks too to the acts, Jason Bynre, Robbie Bonham, Paddy McArdle and External Sounds. McHughs for the room. Everyone who attended and bought tickets. And especially my wife, Maryann, who helped with all the preparation and sat in a freezing cold corridor for most of the night taking tickets. 

No comments: