Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Thanks.

I started this blog six years ago with a similar post, one about coming to the end of a long journey, and getting ready to go on another. I have finally come to the end of the making of Derelict. After three long years of struggling, to breathe life into it, I've done it with the help of a lot of people and this Sunday I will show the film to a room full of friends and strangers, colleagues and peers, for the first time and finally see if all the work has paid off!

When I started this journey and set out to make Derelict it was supposed to be a small project to do quickly before the birth of my first daughter. My wife was pregnant at the time and I wanted to shoot something quickly, get it out of the way, and just tick along editing it while we welcomed the new addition to our family. Evelyn will be 3 soon.

Things never work out quite as you plan. If I've come to realise one thing in life is that you should always double your estimate and add 100%, and you'll be closer to reality! But perhaps it the naivete and the wishful thinking that allows to make those first foolhardy steps, the ones that there are no turning back from!

I enjoyed (most of) the journey, (most of) the work. There will always be stress, always be moments where you wish you could be anywhere else, wish you'd never started it, but the pain fades, and even if the scars remain, they become badges of honour, that say 'You Survived'.

So I just wanted to say a huge Thank You to everyone involved, all along the way, all the Cast and Crew, for tirelessly giving their passion, talent and energy to the film. To all the donors and funders who gave their hard earned cash to a promise, a hope and a story. To my family, who have always supported me and never told me to "get a real job" and to my Wife, who has suffered along side me every step of the way, made sacrifices along side my, worried for me, prayed for me, stood back and pushed me forward, I couldn't have done it without her, without any of these people.

Now, I better go before I start getting all misty eyed! But I'll say this, whatever happens with the film, if it's success or not, loved or hated, I'm glad I did it, and I'm glad I had the chance to work with and meet all these people because of it. Here's to many more!

Much Love x

No comments: